Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hormones and Food

I read an interesting article in the January 2009 issue of Fitness magazine called Outsmart Your Fat Hormones.

hormone:

trigger:

balance it with:

my comments:

cortisol

stress

exercise, yoga, meditation

ghrelin

lack of protein

eat protein

ghrelin & leptin

lack of sleep

sleep! or at least munch on fruits & veggies instead

leptin

HFCS, refined sugar

avoid high-sugar

I "reset" with fruit (unrefined sugar)

progesterone

PMS

maintain consistency (good habits) in last 14 days of cycle

low progesterone in babies may be linked to colic

pyy & glp-1

4 hours after a meal

frequent small meals, or protein&carb snacks between meals

So when I'm in a baby-sleepless haze, be careful on what foods I go munchy, especially the ones with refined sugar. Well, duh! Useful to know that the best snacks have protein and complex carbs, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment