Saturday, January 1, 2005

First Trimester

What I remember about the first trimester (and even a little after, weeks 3 through 12 and then weeks 15 through 18) is the morning sickness. I felt sick all day, any time I had been awake and out of bed more than 15 minutes, so it was really not-early-morning sickness. None of the standard tricks worked, like bland crackers in bed before getting up. I was so miserable and exhausted that I had a difficult time coming up with my own ways to cope. Of course no one in my family ever had morning sickness, nor any of my local friends. I think (I hope) I could now manage it with my own set of tricks. At least my husband was thrilled about our pregnancy, and that made me happier at the time. I spent this time with one dominant thought: Dontbarfdontbarfdontbarf. I didn't, but it was hard to concentrate on anything else in addition.
I couldn't stand the smell of popcorn (that went about halfway through this pregnancy), and I really couldn't stand the taste of saccharin. Check out the leading brands of toothpaste (Colgate, Crest, Aim): they all have saccharin, and I couldn't use any of them, so I switched to Tom's.
The intense thirst responds well to lemon-lime gatorade, or not-too-sweet lemonade when water doesn't cut it. Nap when you can, and don't feel lazy: remember there's so much growth using your energy!
Favorite food: clementine oranges, followed by crisp-sweet apples. I lived on oranges and apples.
Just put one foot in front of the other. Do stretching exercises when you can.
Total weight loss: down 4 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment