Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Potato Flakes

I used to think a box of instant mashed potato flakes had no place in my kitchen because it wasn't "real food" since it is highly processed and I know how to cook. I can make my own mashed potatoes! However, I got a box in my kitchen when I got married.

I did a good job of ignoring that box until he brought home some bluefin tuna he caught with the boys. That's a tasty fish, so I pulled up all sorts of recipes. Tuna is fairly greasy, so I quickly leaned toward recipes where the fat could drop off and away from the meal. One broiled recipe called for coating the tuna with potato flakes and spices, very much like a baked version of fried chicken but with potato flakes instead of corn flakes. In fact, this was so tasty that I have purchased potato flakes twice since then. So much for that misplaced cooking pride! There's taking pride in my cooking, and there's just plain tasty. I'll actually take tasty when I have to choose between the two.

I do feel better calling it potato flakes instead of instant mashed potatoes. It never becomes mashed potatoes around here anyway (gross!).

No comments:

Post a Comment