Friday, March 23, 2007

GCalDaemon: beta 7

So far, I've used these versions: gcaldaemon-linux-1.0.zip, gcaldaemon-linux-1.0-beta2.zip, gcaldaemon-linux-1.0-beta3.zip, gcaldaemon-linux-1.0-beta5.zip, and now gcaldaemon-linux-1.0-beta7.zip. For a one-developer show, this is pretty impressive! I reported the semi-colon bug in the first version and hardly had time to blink before beta 2 fixed it. However, then I had a problem with all-day events created in iCal getting moved ahead a day after sync. (All-day events created in Google Calendar didn't change days.) But wait, there's beta 3! The day bug vanquished! I asked if it were possible to sync multiple calendars. Feature added! However, the day bug came back in beta 5, so now it's time to try beta 7.

As part of my upgrade to beta 7, I went through the configuration file (instead of over-writing it with my beta 5 config file), and I'm impressed by the sheer number of new features (and they look useful too, not just frilly). Bugs are fixed quickly and more features are added all the time. Oh, did I mention that the documentation is beautiful? From one person. Wow.

So,

  1. I installed GCALDaemon in the new /usr/local/sbin, more standard location,
  2. I stopped my net.sf.gcaldaemon agent in Lingon,
  3. I copied over the work directory and old config files (cp -R /bin/GCALDaemon/work /usr/local/sbin/GCALDaemon; cp /bin/GCALDaemon/conf/gcal-daemon.cfg /usr/local/sbin/GCALDaemon/conf/gcal-daemon.older; cp /bin/GCALDaemon/conf/logger-config.cfg /usr/local/sbin/GCALDaemon/conf/logger-config.older; if you didn't set group write permission for yourself already, you'll need sudo in front of those commands, and since I didn't customize logger-config.older I didn't keep it)
  4. I removed GCALDaemon from the old location (sudo rm -rf /bin/GCALDaemon), and
  5. I updated my agent in Lingon and restarted it.

It doesn't take as long as that sounds!

Now, to see how it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment