Saturday, June 2, 2007

Alepin mdimporter Quest

I haven't used Alepin as much since I started using Spotlight more. Off and on, I've been frustrating myself by trying to write a Spotlight importer for it. It's just a package of RTFD files! What could be easier? I thought perhaps I could piggyback on this hint and make the RichText importer do it, but that idea failed. Well, in the case of Spotlight Metadata importer vs file package of rtfd files, the user loses. The bundle is opaque to Spotlight indexing!

I do have an idea to try to get around this anyway because I'm that stubborn, but it'll need to be scripted not manual. In that case, while I'm at it, I should script adding tags to Alepin. That will make everything Spotlight happy. Or I might switch to Journler, but then everything (work and personal, two things I try to separate) have to go in the same folder. But it has Spotlight and tags, two things Alepin needs. And it's free for personal use, so I can dabble with it.

However, at least I know I have to resort to a hack instead of pounding my head against the "write your own mdimporter" wall. That should bring the frustration down on this project. And I think I hack this hack, so that cheers me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment