Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm Fine

I'm really and truly completely fine, but I was in a car accident on the way home. No airbags deployed, and I didn't even hit the steering wheel. I couldn't quite stop in time (but tantalizingly close! argh), and the other driver really should have stayed at the stop sign. So tomorrow afternoon, I will need to arrange to transfer my car from the lot where banged-up-after-hours cars go to the dealer for body work and repairs. I'd much rather be at work!

For as much damage as was done to my station wagon, I can't believe I didn't feel more impact. My headlight clipped her bumper, and since there's not much directly behind a headlight or in a trunk, it was squishy as car accidents go. I'm just hoping the insurance company doesn't decide to declare my car totaled (definition of totaled: cost to repair = value of car) because it was hard to find a wagon that new, in that good condition, with that low miles, and even in a pretty color. I haven't even had it 7 months. I want to keep it longer than that! I don't want it to be totaled! OK, I'm glad we're fine most of all, but I'd like to keep my nice station wagon too.

The body damage is really going to add up. The quarter panel with the headlight (and the whole headlight assembly isn't cheap), the bumper (pressed into the tire making pulling off the road tricky), the hood (just the corner by the headlight), and the driver's door (so I couldn't get out on my side, and I'm baby-big enough that climbing over the console was awkward). Before I turned off the car, the dashboard display told me first that I had a headlight out, and then that I had a steering fluid leak that needed to go to the shop right away. So there are more repairs than just the body work. Since my absolute favorite mechanic doesn't do body work, I guess my wagon goes to the dealer. By the time I pulled off the road, I could really smell the burning rubber from my brakes. I tried really hard to stop in time, to avoid this accident. Stinky!

Of course I had my seat belt on, and this big baby belly made sure that it was low over my hips just as recommended. Since I didn't even hit the steering wheel, the baby is fine. Nothing hit me or him, just the car. I don't even think I'll have any neck pain or any whiplash! No scratches, bumps, or bruises.
And I'm glad it happened by the railroad tracks at Blackwood Station. I'd been going a little faster several miles back when I got on the highway because the truck behind me was blinding me with those $%@#! high beams, but I slowed down in the curvy area (and that truck had to slow down a lot more), and I was even just coasting up to the train tracks for the bump ... and then there was the thought is that car going to pull out in front me? so my foot was hovering over the brakes. I slammed on the brakes, surprisingly did not tee-bone her, but still my headlight bumped the corner of her trunk. No one hurt, just rattled nerves. Slow: good speed for an accident.

Just one of those "a freaky thing happened on my way home" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment