Thursday, August 26, 2010

Silk Tie Ideas

I did a quick 'net search for silk tie refashion ideas.

  • The tie belt looks spiffy, and reminds me that two ties could make suspenders (attach suspender clips, and cross the ties in the back; my mom says she did that when she was pregnant with me). I wouldn't trust glue to have belt-worthy strength, but I don't mind using my sewing machine for belts and suspenders. Not that I've wanted suspenders since I was pregnant either! tie-belt
  • This sunglasses case looks good (again, I would sew instead of glue, and I would also use a slippery fabric lining), and could easily become a phone case, an iPod case with a belt loop, or a skinny purse. If you open up the tie to scavenge the material, you can make this small purse too. sunglasses-case small-purse Following this theme, you can also make a zip pouch.
  • The necktie place mats and napkin rings look very formal and manly. And they would easily adapt to be a picnic roll-up (a placemat with flatware and napkin pockets that you roll up and tie shut for the journey to your picnic destination, even Martha's done it)! necktie-placemats-and-napkin-rings
  • If you have a lot of ties and patience, try the neck tie school bag. necktie-school-bag
  • And finally, a scarf. necktie-scarf
  • A late 2014 addition, a coffee cup cozy. necktie-coffee-cup-cozy

Yep, more potential projects than I have time! I do love the whole refashion and upcycle idea, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment