Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Clothes Make the Girl

Since the start of this calendar year, I've lost about 10 pounds, and just recently people have started to remark to me that I look as though I've lost weight.

Initially, I had two theories. One was simply that a ten-pound weight loss shows. The other theory was that I'm wearing different, smaller clothes now. (No, I have not bought a new wardrobe! I don't enjoy shopping, and clothes shopping is probably the worst form; furthermore most prêt à porter doesn't flatter me) Now that I've heard the remarks a number of times, I can report that all, yes all, of the compliments are when I'm wearing smaller clothes. These are clothes I wore in high school, somewhat worn but they fit well again. Not new and sharp (although I'm sure that would work too!), but old and at least somewhat figure-flattering.

Although I did both, I have to say that dressing to look smaller is more effective to get others to notice than being smaller.

On a similar tangent, clothes that fit well are more comfortable and generally make you more confident in your appearance leading to overall improved confidence. Knowing you look good leads to feeling good. And that's why I can sometimes drag myself out to buy clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment