Monday, August 13, 2012

Cocoa Powder

I've been making chocolate cupcakes for Karston's lunch. He knows he has to finish his lunch (two cheese sticks) first, but then he loves the treat and packs in more calories. So I was wondering about cocoa powder, specifically if I should use dutch-processed (alkalized) cocoa powder instead.
And, across the board, the two Dutched cocoas beat out the two natural cocoas in terms of both flavor and texture. So does the home cook need both Dutched and natural cocoas? Not based on our findings. But buyer beware, too much “dutching” is not a good thing. Our tasters found that while moderate Dutching helps alleviate harsh notes, the overzealously Dutched cocoa we tasted took on a taste and consistency reminiscent of talcum powder.
This suggests I should stick with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder since it is partially dutched. Plus, I've been looking, and alkalized cocoa powder is hard to find in my local stores. But Hershey's Special Dark? Easy to find, and Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment