Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Quick and Easy Sausage Posole

I had forgotten just how much I like this posole (Southwestern stew) recipe until I made it for dinner tonight!

I started with this Sausage Posole recipe from Hillshire Farm, but following a recipe is not my forté.

All fresh ingredients were preheated to softness in the microwave before throwing in the pan to stew for an hour.
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I used what I had, chicken stock from the last time I boiled chicken)
  • 1/2 cup diced onion, pre-cooked in some of that chicken broth
  • 1 medium potato, grated, and pre-cooked in some of that chicken broth
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 2 cups pinto beans (I used what I had, about half "refried" and half still beans)
  • 1/2 cup white wine, optional
  • 1 can hominy, rinsed and drained (this is my only hominy recipe, and I always keep a can on the shelf)
  • 1 can Rotel Mexican (with lime and cilantro) or Rotel Milder, including juice
  • 1/2 package of Hillshire Farms Li'l Smokies
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder (or ground cumin)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • water as needed
So, like I said, make sure the fresh ingredients have been cooked until soft in the microwave, and then throw it in the pan before doing something else for a while. In my case, I was fixing dinner for the boys. Stir occasionally, adding more water as needed. And it's so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment