Saturday, November 19, 2016

Arduino Nano with IPv6

I haven't touched my Arduino Nanos in a while because they didn't do IPv6 with the arduino_uip library I thought would work. However, I poked around again, and found EtherSia, so I thought I would give it a try. In the intervening time, I have switched from Mac to Linux for my daily driver.

I went to the Arduino Getting Started page, and downloaded the latest version of the IDE for Linux. I connected my Nano v3 that has the FTDI controller, so I selected Tools (menu) > Board > Arduino Nano and Tools > Port > /dev/ttyUSB0. The software selected Tools > Processor > ATmega328 automatically (which is correct for the Nano v3, but not what the hardware-specific page says to expect). I selected the "Blink" sketch (the hardware equivalent of "Hello, World!", from File (menu) > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink), clicked on Verify, clicked on Upload, and my Arduino Nano is blinking at me.

The relevant output line from lsusb for me was:

Bus 003 Device 047: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

When I run Tools > Get Board Info, I get
BN: Unknown board
VID: 0403
PID: 6001
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

No drivers were downloaded; it just worked. Despite knowing that I should quit while I'm ahead (so I can have dinner at a reasonable time), I wanted to try IPv6 from EtherSia! I went to Sketch (menu) > Include Library > Manage Libraries. I put "ethersia" in the Search box, it showed up, I clicked on Install next to the (most recent) version number, and that was just too easy. File > Examples > EtherSia > Minimal. I knew I would want it, so I brought up Tools > Serial Monitor as well. I switched it to 38400 baud (as mentioned in the sketch), and again it just works! I could even ping6 it!

Now I just need to see how it feels about reporting temperature and humidity from HTU21D over IPv6 into my monitoring. That can wait until after dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment