Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Mail.app and server mailboxes

I keep trying to like Apple's Mail.app (because it is well-integrated and simple) but it keeps showing "features" that annoy me. Mostly I don't like the "one big happy INBOX" view of my three IMAP accounts. I have different accounts for good reasons, and if I wanted them mixed together, I would forward all mail into one account! I can deal with selecting the different INBOXes, though. I like most of the UI of Mulberry, but I wanted junk mail filtering with the least input from me. I tried Thunderbird and liked the adaptive junk mail filtering, but it doesn't bounce messages and it doesn't feel nimble on OS X.

Software: Mail.app 2.0.3

Problem: The latest Mail.app "feature" was showing all files in one of my Unix accounts as mailboxes when they're not; my mail is in ~/mail.

Solution: I went to Mail's Preferences, and clicked on this account. Under the Advanced tab, there's a message to "check with your system administrator before changing any of the advanced options below" so I ignored those options on the first pass. However, the fix was in there! I added ~/mail to IMAP Path Prefix, and then it looked a whole lot better! So now we'll see if I can stick to Mail.app this time (I've never even made it a whole day before).

UPDATE: No, I didn't make it a full 24 hours this time either. I'm back to Thunderbird for the adaptive junk mail filter, with some forays to Mulberry for the extended feature set with messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment