Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Third Month

The third month is about the same as the second month. I miss the simplicity of the first month!

Development

The best play this month is eye contact! For that, you get big smiles and silent laughs! He also enjoys nose-to-nose rubbing and belly tickling. Holding him upright also delights him, but that could be a reflux thing.

We could start translating his cries this month so some days were easier than the second month.

Layette

He's finally filling out his 0-3 months clothing, but no real changes.

Nursing

A button-down shirt works, but to look nicer in public yet nurse more discretely, a nursing top is better.

I used my breast pump, to practice for going back to work, and to relieve pressure on the rare (maybe two) days he didn't nurse as much as usual. He really doesn't like the bottle (NO nipple confusion!), and he completely rejects the pacifier.

Sleeping

Still no sleeping improvements. We had to give up on the SwaddleMe now that he's bigger and stronger. The Amazing Miracle Blanket works a little better than the blanket because it usually captures his arms. He always gets one leg out, and he always wakes himself up if he get an arm out.

When he's really fussy at night, the only thing that works is bringing him in bed with me. He loves the a la carte dining with the skin contact, while I love getting back to sleep. Yes, I know this is discouraged, but I reached a point where it seems reasonable to do if we're both happy and we're both getting something we want.

The larger swaddle that fits him is essential to longer periods of sleep between feedings. Also, two other things sometimes help him sleep longer at night. First, if I "fill his tank" just before bed, he might sleep longer. Sometimes. And secondly, I have to make sure he doesn't spend too much time (over 5 hours) napping during the day.

Furniture

The bouncer chair is handy, so he can watch us eat (so we can eat without holding him), but he still doesn't care for the vibration or for the toys. We carry him from room to room in it. The rocking motion of the swing sometimes soothes him when he's over-tired but not too fussy yet, but since that's a small window, it's usually used to hold clothes.

The Tiny Love mobile on his crib is responsible for letting me take several showers: he loves to watch it and listen to the music! We have the one with animals that I think is the cutest (although the bird looks deranged).

Travel

I got a travel bad and an inflatable My Breast Friend nursing pillow for a business trip at three months. The travel bed is very handy, but he'll clearly outgrow it soon, so judge accordingly. The inflatable nursing pillow was perfect for airplane travel! I like the lumbar support. I use Boppy when I sit in a chair with lumbar support, and I use My Breast Friend when I sit in a chair (or on our couch) without lumbar support.

Mom

I noticed my hair falling out this month, after getting even thicker than normal (but softer) while pregnant. My hair is also much darker than before because incidental sun exposure has more effect on my hair color than I knew. I've been inside much more than ever this summer. My baby is related to me, and I've gotten sunburns in 5 to 10 minutes before. Really! And I'm not a redhead, and not really a blonde anymore either. I don't want him to have his first sunburn at this age.

Total weight loss: down 9 pounds. I haven't had time for exercise this month, and I know that will catch up with me soon in the form of increased weight, decreased energy, and increased aches and pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment