Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Good Software

Some general thoughts about good software ... Good software always has a way for me to export my data (in case I find better software), and a way to import data so I can get started with it quickly. Import and export are basic requirements for me. Along the lines of import and export, I also prefer if the underlying file format isn't that hard to translate; that one isn't as necessary, but it's close. File conversion opens up more import/export choices!

I like groups, hierarchical views that I can collapse to see just the big picture or expand to see the details. However, paper files can only go into one folder, but electronic files should belong to several groups so that they're easier to find than paper where you have to guess the right folder. I'm not fond of exclusive hierarchy (one and only group) so that I can file information into several bins (groups). Another way to say that is that I want tags. Tags break free of the hierarchical mold; you can add multiple tags to any selection. These tags, as further requirement, should have Spotlight integration so that I'm not restricted to particular search tools. (I love metadata. If it's applicable, it's one of my requirements.)

I expect to be able to save multiple files anywhere I want. I don't particularly want to mix work and home, say for a note-taking application, but I do want to use good applications both places. Multiple files are required, as is an easy way to copy (rsync) a file to another Mac depending on where I'm working.

I like productivity shortcuts. Productivity can be as simple as good interface design, or keyboard shortcuts, or Growl integration; anything that makes it easier to get in and get out, faster to get back to the real world and my kid.

I like applications that are attractive and enjoyable (this is intangible). Free is a real bonus, especially since I move between applications. There's a reason I need data import and export!

No comments:

Post a Comment