Saturday, February 24, 2007

Growl: Software - Utility - Notification

I didn't know that I needed Growl. When I read the description, I had no idea how it would help. In fact, I'm still not sure why I bothered to download and install it. I guess I wanted to try a popular gadget. Now it's one of the first applications I install. The best example of how I use it is mail. I use Mail.app on one laptop, and Thunderbird on another, but I have both of them show sender and subject via a Growl bezel. It's great for GTD! If I'm working in another application, I can see at a glance if the email that just beeped in is worth checking. I used to be so annoyed that I had stopped by train of thought for spam or other non-critical email, but also when I had kept working on a project when I needed to act on something in email. This way the train stays on track (GTD!) unless I need to change gears. It's really useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment