Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fixing the Linux VNC oddity

This morning's annoyance was that old Linux VNC problem I had a while ago, and I finally solved it. I found a hint that TightVNC (a fork used by Apple for Apple Remote Desktop, known for good behavior on slow links) compression is incompatible with RealVNC (the main code base). I bet unknown message type 242 means I don't understand TightVNC encoding when you get down to it.

If I use Vine Server based on RealVNC, my Linux can control my Mac and my Solaris still can too! Don't forget to set a strong password and to open your VNC ports in the firewall.

I'm sure the reverse is also true: I could probably install TightVNC from DAG on my Linux, and then view Apple Remote Desktop (which is easier since it would open the firewall for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment