Friday, October 5, 2007

Help for Morning Emesis

The problem with morning sickness, particularly the all-day variety I get, is that it puts me in such a fog that I have a hard time thinking of a way to get out of the sickly haze. However, I did find one more effective trick for my morning emesis other than avoiding sucralose (and sugar, to a lesser extent). After breakfast, I brush my teeth. Depending on the morning, if I haven't yet (probably because I was cuddling our toddler earlier), I also wash my face. What do those have in common? Bending over the bathroom sink! That seems to be a trigger for my throat to want to reverse gears, but I found a way to head it off. If I blow my nose before brushing my teeth, I'm much better off. The other aspect, of course, is to spend as much brushing and washing time standing upright, and not bending over the sink. But blowing my nose before brushing my teeth while not as obvious seems to be very effective.

Speaking of brushing teeth and morning sickness, most toothpaste (read the labels on Crest and Colgate!) contains saccharin. When I have morning sickness, I can't handle any amount of saccharin, even when I'm not eating it. Luckily I still have the tube of Tom's of Maine mint flouride toothpaste from the first pregnancy, so I can still brush my teeth with toothpaste (although using no toothpaste is better than not brushing at all!). I prefer plain baking soda right now, though. The less sweetness in my mouth in the morning, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment