Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Food Cravings

Over the years, I've learned a few things about my food cravings. If I want salty food, I usually need protein. If I eat refined sugar, I just want more sugar (but I can turn that off with fruit, sweet but not refined). If I want chocolate, I'm stressed (or in the presence of really good chocolate). I'm not sure I believe all of it (but hey, it's worth a try), but here's a chart of what to eat for each craving. Some of these are ironic ... if you crave soda then you need calcium, and that soda will likely impair your calcium absorption! Others make sense to me. For instance, craving chocolate is linked to B deficiency, probably the same B's that are mal-absorbed under stress, completing the explanation of my rare chocolate cravings. I prefer the (hint of) scientific explanation for cravings, but since it's a sales pitch, it stops short.

The other craving I get is when I'm late eating a meal, I often get The Hunger, where I want to eat for the rest of the day. It's hard to fight The Hunger, and I'm gassy then too. (Like now. I thought that was a false alarm that I was hungry for lunch at 11:30 AM, but the after-effects indicate otherwise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment