Saturday, July 19, 2008

Playing Bridge and Cooking

I heard that Omar Sharif once said women weren't frivolous enough to study bridge enough to play world-class bridge. Sandra Landry, a world-class bridge player, thinks men and women play a different game of bridge too.

Landy suggests that the male game is tougher and more aggressive because of testosterone levels. Men, she says, concentrate better, while women are multitasking, unable to give maximum effort to bridge. ''Obviously,'' she says, ''women are more balanced and lead less obsessive lives. They play bridge to meet people and to enjoy a stimulating pastime away from home, children and career.''

For some reason, this also makes me think of cooking. I know a number of people who cook for their families. The men prepare these outstanding meals. Fancy. The women, myself included, aim for fast and healthy. Scoop a one-bowl meal out of the crockpot? Awriiight! It's a completely different class of cooking. And Sandra's right, I'm not thinking about just cooking, I'm also thinking about my boys, maybe even thinking about work or about catching up with friends ... Impressing anyone with a fancy dinner is not on my radar. And bridge? It's merely a game. We can skip the cards and just chat, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment