Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baby Banana Pancakes

I had a bottle of breast milk reaching the end of its shelf life, and I wanted to make something for Cale. Since I also had two baby bananas (the baby variety, not the standard Cavendish) getting black, I decided to make banana pancakes. I started with a recipe from Food For Little Fingers by Victoria Jenest (it's a nice cookbook for ideas, but I recommend not feeding liver to children due to accumulated toxins) but I had to modify the recipe for Cale's egg allergy.

1 Tbs flax seed meal

2 Tbs water

heat in microwave 1:15, beat together (should be gelatinous since this is the egg sub)

2 baby bananas

mash into "egg"

1/3 cup breast milk

1 tsp canola oil

I added another 2 Tbs of milk to thin the batter; mix

1/2 King Arthur white wheat flour

1/2 tsp Bakewell Cream baking powder

sift in, barely mix by hand

I mixed the wet ingredients with the drink attachment for my immersion blender, which made everything very smooth and aerated fluffy. Once you add baking powder (or baking soda), put away the mechanical mixers and do it by hand so you don't lose the leavening action. I don't know if I needed extra milk because I like thinner pancake batter, or because the air is so impossibly dry right now, or because the protein content of the whole wheat flour I used was higher than that in the test recipe. Or maybe the egg substitution needed more water? The recipe called for 1/3 cup, and I used more.

I made one batch of 8 2-inch pancakes. Based on Karston's interest, I made another batch as Mickey pancakes. Cale ate one pancake and started on a second, while Karston ate one pancake and one Mickey. For no-sugar pancakes with no eggs and with whole wheat flour, these were surprisingly light, fluffy, and tasty.

noscript-2009-01-21-05-27.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment