Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Spring

Today was a spring day, despite being early February. The air temperature was a balmy upper-60s. The gentle breeze was usually warm, but ever once in a while, a chilly gust would remind me that it's early for spring. I could smell the bouquet of plants growing, the mild scent of the first greenery emerging. The sun made me feel toasty inside and out. While walking in to my office from the far end of the parking lot this morning, I was overcome with love for the promise of spring. Spring promises flowers blooming (several of my daffodils and one crocus have bloomed but the forsythia, usually first, hasn't bloomed at all yet) and weather getting gradually milder until the days stretch into the languorous days of summer. Ah, summer! Family picnics on the grass, floating around the lake on the pedal boat, sitting on the porch swing, and a hundred other reasons to head outside! And then easing into fall, back to weather that can be crisp, back to school, enjoying the days you can although the enjoyable evenings aren't as long ... and then bundling up for winter. Winter's not so bad with this view, and I never thought I'd say that I look forward to the rare snowfall, but it's still not as enjoyable as the promise of more fun that spring brings.

I had to stop on the sidewalk, face full to the sun, close my eyes, and inhale the wonderful, delicate spring smell. Enjoying the warm sun, the gentle breeze, just everything wonderful about this morning. Oh, I wish I could capture or convey that joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment