Friday, November 20, 2009

Patience ...

Not that I'm exactly the patient type (having been a happy user of uControl for a long time until OS X offered this keymap), but sometimes good features will come if you wait. Initially I wanted to have CAPS LOCK and CONTROL in the same place on all of my keyboards, and my laptops needed to switch them. (I have muscle memory for many Unix control-key options, and hitting CAPS LOCKS instead can lead to foul language.) Then I put my work MacBook Pro, originally with OS X 10.4, on a KVM with an IBM keyboard, and I needed to switch COMMAND and OPTION. However, this led to another annoyance: if I swapped COMMAND and OPTION for the external keyboard, they were swapped when I took the laptop sans external keyboard to a meeting.

I've been running 10.5 for ages, but I finally paid attention while I was tinkering with the keymap: it now supports per-recognized-keyboard remaps! I know the novelty will wear off soon and I'll forget how much I love this feature unless someone asks me directly, but it's a very welcome feature addition to the welcome feature of keymapping. Sometimes it is the little things that makes long meetings with minimal content not so annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment