Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recycled into a Child's Shirt

Kid's shirts can be so inexpensive as to make this not-as-useful, but I made Karston a long-sleeved shirt from one of my old tee-shirts and a "rag" tee-shirt. He really liked the unique print on the front of my old tee-shirt that I didn't wear anymore, so this project was worth my time. I finished it in a week, just working on it a few minutes most days.

  1. trace an existing long-sleeved shirt that fits well onto large-enough paper (like a paper grocery bag sliced open)
  2. cut pattern
  3. cut pieces from inside-out shirt
  4. pin shoulders
  5. thread serger
  6. serge shoulders
  7. serge neckline
  8. pin sleeves to shoulders, matching sleeve top to new shoulder seam
  9. serge sleeves to shoulders, but leave sides open
  10. pin sleeves and sides
  11. start at cuff, and serge from sleeve to side
  12. serge bottom of shirt
  13. pin hem
  14. iron hem in place
  15. switch from serger to sewing machine, thread sewing machine
  16. stitch hem using a stitch with some stretch (zig-zag typically, but I used a wave to go with the shells)
  17. pin fold-over elastic around neckline
  18. stitch foe at neck with zig-zag
  19. using a small crochet hook, catch all serger ends underneath closest serged seam

VoilĂ , one long-sleeved kid's shirt, made an adult's shirt! Easier to do than I expected too -- sergers really are fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment