Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First Jog

I just went for my first jog in ... well, I can't recall. This might be the first jog since I had kids (so over 5 years since I didn't jog while pregnant-large either)! I know these running shoes are B.C. (before children), and I don't keep running shoes for very many miles. I retire my running shoes to walking shoes quickly, and move on to the next new pair of running shoes. I never walk around in my running shoes, except for cool-down.

I'm in bad, bad shape. I didn't make it far, and (as usual) my lungs were the limiting factor. I made it farther than my minimum goal, but I turned around when I tasted blood (wimpy, wimpy lungs). At least it's really humid this afternoon, so that protected my lungs as much as the outdoor environment could. I liked that. After that, I lifted some weights.

I hope I make a habit of running (again). I'd feel good about that. That's why I just went for a run as soon as I got home, because that's the only way to start a habit. I started, and I'll keep doing it. Regularly would be best.

Here are the three things I look for in a running shoe. First, toe flexion. If I push inward, one hand on heel and one hand on toe, the shoe should bend easily at the toe where your foot bends easily. Second, a sturdy heel cup. If I squeeze mid-top heel, the shoe shouldn't budge. And third, torsion control. If I twist the heel one way and the toe the other way, the shoe shouldn't budge. On top of that, I look for the shoe that fits my running style (ask the Shoe Dog at Road Runner Sports): I need a motion control shoe, but with the most cushioning since I have a very heavy gait.

No comments:

Post a Comment