Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Easy!

I always love it when my crazy ideas end up being easy to implement. I'm using version 3.1.3 beta of mGSD (a custom TiddlyWiki for GSD), and I don't actually know Javascript. I like the provided dashboards, but most of my work (this reflects my actual job) is a bunch of actions that are rarely bundled into projects so many of the consolidated views hide, not highlight, what I need to do.

I started with the "Projects Dashboard" tiddler but I wanted to order actions by Area (since my tasks do fall into general areas, just not projects). Basically I changed:

  • Project to Action
  • Active to Next
  • Someday/Maybe to [[Waiting For]]

Then I added a copy of Someday/Maybe, but changed to Future. I called it "Action Dashboard by Area" and ta-da! it's exactly what I wanted. That's how I think about what I need to do. Yes, my job really is that all-over-the-place, it is not easily categorized, and it is not well-organized except by me for me.

Here's the new tiddler I'm using:

{{cols2{

{{col{

<<mgtdList title:'Next Actions' startTag:Action tags:'Next && !Complete' view:Action mode:global

        group:Area

        gView:bold

        newButtonTags:'Next Action'

        >>

}}}

{{col{

<<mgtdList title:'Pending Actions' startTag:Action tags:'[[Waiting For]] && !Complete' view:Action mode:global

        group:Area

        gView:bold

        newButtonTags:'Waiting For Action'

        >>

<<mgtdList title:'Future Actions' startTag:Action tags:'Future && !Complete' view:Action mode:global

        group:Area

        gView:bold

        newButtonTags:'Future Action'

        >>

{{scroll10{

<<mgtdList title:'Completed Actions' startTag:Action tags:'Complete' view:ActionComplete mode:global

        group:Area

        gView:bold

        newButtonTags:'Action Active Complete'

        >>

}}}

}}}

}}}

I also really like that I can use Realms to hide what isn't relevant in mGSD. I use three Realms, Work, Home, and School, and I prefer to hide the ones that aren't what I should be doing right now.

I just love it when a useful change that could be a bear (what with not knowing Javascript) ends up being easy!

UPDATE 06/11/2010: I just created a "Tickler Dashboard by Area" by copying the "Tickler Dashboard by Contact" tiddler to that name (using same tags) and changed the two lines that said group:Contact into group:Area. I liked that so much, I added it (just the <<mgtdList ... >> parts) to this "Action Dashboard by Area" so I have one view of everything as long as my tasks don't overflow my screen!

No comments:

Post a Comment