Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Color Your Mail

By using the number keys (zero to five) in Thunderbird (my preferred mailreader) I can easily assign different colors to the mails in the inbox. I’ve made a little system of my own where one color means urgent, another “less important todos” and so on.

My mailbox is IMAP-based and through the magic of IMAP, the color codes even carries themselves between the different machines I use (and works within Apple’s Mail.app too).

It may not revolutionize your life, but it sure helps me just a little bit – each and every day

from Color code your mail « Netfactory

I used to use the IMAP tags to color-code my email in Thunderbird heavily, until we switched from good ol' IMAP to Exchange 2010. Even though this Exchange server has IMAP enabled (thank goodness!), Microsoft doesn't support IMAP tags, so my color-coded tags no longer show up in all of my Thunderbird clients.

That takes some of the shine off of Thunderbird. Add in its memory usage, and I'm trying Apple's Mail.app yet again. I'm now accustomed to messages being colored per-client, but I still wanted to color my messages without creating complicated Rules in Mail.app. Luckily, I found an old post:

If you want to color code your messages in the Mail app just press Apple-Shift-C to bring up the color palette. Select any color and you’re done.

Awesome! I may be able to take the leap this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment