Sunday, November 26, 2023

Stuck Screw

I had a stuck screw in my garage several years ago that was blocking the next project. I knew I needed to do my research about stubborn screw removal before getting frustrated. When the first step worked, I thought I had "over-researched" the topic, but two days later my best friend texted me that some guys were getting frustrated at a stuck screw, they weren't impressed her best friend is an engineer, so did I have some suggestions? My immediate reply: too long for a text, check your email. We don't know which step worked (just that they removed the screw after exposure to my list), but I no longer feel like I did too much research!

My record so far is all screws were removed by a much bigger screwdriver (12 inches / 30 centimeters long!), except one (a stripped Phillips #2 #4-40 inside a computer) that turned after a few minutes of a heat gun.

Here are the steps I collected, and the order I would try them.

  1. Try a different screwdriver: larger head, longer handle.
  2. For stripped or worn screws, improve screwdriver's grip with: rubber band, steel wool, duct tape (sticky side on screw), green abrasive pad from a kitchen sponge, friction paste (like Drive Grip by Vibra-Tite), abrasive paste from car repair shops.
  3. Heat the screw for 2-3 minutes with a hair dryer or heat gun or small torch or soldering gun, and try again.
  4. Chill the screw with ice cubes, and try again.
  5. For screws into metal that might be rusty, or might have paint or debris, clean around the screw as much as possible, apply a rust penetrant (Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, WD-40) or paint stripper, wait 15 minutes, try again.
  6. If headroom, tighten a drill chuck over the screw head, and unscrew with drill.
  7. If headroom, remove with a pair of pliers. Flatten opposite sides with a file or dremel to improve gripping.
  8. Tap the screwdriver with a hammer, primarily for Phillips head. For a standard #2, drive a #1 bit into the screw. Tap the screwdriver while turning (improvised manual impact screwdriver).
  9. Use a manual impact driver. (manual better than electric for forward thrust)
  10. Drill a shallow hole into the head, so the screwdriver sits deeper.
  11. Use a dremel to cut a slot all the way across, and use a large slotted screwdriver.
  12. Adhere a nut to the head with welding adhesive, let dry recommended time, use ratchet.
  13. Drill a pilot hole, and then use a screw extractor.
  14. Use a hole saw to remove the screw and a plug of wood around it; replace the plug of wood with one without a stuck screw.
  15. Drill out the whole screw.
References:

No comments:

Post a Comment