Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cashbox

I've been looking at Cashbox as a Quicken alternative for OS X. I want an application with a nice Mac user interface (preferably Aqua), that shows balances for multiple accounts (preferably with transfers), and has a good reconcile. I know Cashbox doesn't support investments, but it has import and export options to lure me in.

Except I couldn't import the QIF file I just exported from Quicken 2002 Deluxe. Show stopper. Too much to re-enter by hand!

Since it was easy, I decided to try the suggestion to change the line endings (even though the application wasn't Cashbox, maybe some tips are generally applicable; especially since I saw ^M everywhere). In Terminal, I ran the command

cat JustExportedFromQuicken.qif | tr '\r' '\n' > ImportThis.qif

and the updated file imported just fine into Cashbox! Woo-hoo!

I do like the Bill Scheduling in Quicken to remind me when bills are due (but iCal can remind me too), and I figured out how to get around Quicken moving my account windows (if I close all account windows before I quit Quicken, when I re-launch and re-open, the account windows will show up where I put them before), but the company's support in general and of Mac OS X in specific is miserable. So I'd rather not support Intuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment