Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Preparations

I was up 1.5 hours last night, after everyone else went to bed. I was working on all of the food preparation that I could do in advance: I mixed the dry ingredients, I set out measuring cups for the wet ingredients, I printed the recipes in order of decreasing bake time leaving out the steps I had already done, and I used a highlighter on the steps that Kurtis usually does.

Organizing by decreasing bake time, having the printed just-what-to-do-to-finish steps, and using the highlighter so I didn't have to answer questions on what to do next was a great idea! Luckily Kurtis thought it was funny (and not bossy ... I was worried he might take it the wrong way) that I had marked his contributions with highlighter. I don't think he read anything else on that page.

I only needed one hour this morning to make tropical fruit crumble, cranberry-raisin muffins, buttermilk biscuits (the egg wash turned out quite golden, but next time I won't put it on so thick), turkey gravy, cinnamon cream cheese icing for the existing banana cinnamon snacking cake (for our niece's birthday), and a veggie platter.

Usually I'm not that organized with night-before prep and a printed checklist, so (a) I don't use his skills or my time as well, then (b) I'm running late, so as a consequence (c) I'm stressed. Yuck!

One of my famous sayings is Never rush to have fun! and I definitely think I've discovered a new way to accomplish that. I've got to remember this approach for Christmas, and for the baking season next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment