Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Case Against DRM

Scott Bradner is one of those Internet people I respect. I don't even know where to start on why ... I'll let his Postel Award speak for itself, and just say that's why. I was catching up on Scott Bradner's column in Network World because I enjoy his succinct opinions. This one on DRM’s future on the Internet got off to a good start, and turning to an Andrew Odlyzko paper [Digital rights management: Desirable, inevitable, and almost irrelevant] just sealed the deal since I respect Andrew Odlyzko's ability to counter popular positions with strong arguments backed up with solid data and analysis. Put the two of those in the same article against DRM, and I suffer a terrible case of the Me too opinion!

The only point I would add is one made by Professor Gary Bishop: the whole recording industry (music and movies) wouldn't exist without the very technology that they're fighting with DRM. How's that for biting the hand that feeds and created you? Probably not too smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment