Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Anthony Bourdain Told Me So

I went to a nice Italian restaurant for lunch today. I told myself I had to order something other than my usual (rut) this time, and I reminded myself that I've always enjoyed the weekly specials. So when I saw the tuna panino on the weekly specials menu, I ordered it. To be honest, what drew me in was the toppings: arugula and roasted red peppers, one with a kick and the other with the mellow. I love those!

Anthony Bourdain says never to order fish on Monday. Since yesterday was the Labor Day holiday, today is a virtual Monday. And I ordered fish. And I've been going to the bathroom roughly once every other hour ever since lunch. I can hear the I told you so, and if I had remembered the virtual Monday-ness, I wouldn't've done it.

Come to think of it, it's been years since I've been happy with my food order when I've told myself to order something different before I saw the menu. Maybe the lesson is not to fight the rut: if the menu tempts me away from The Usual, I should branch out, but otherwise ... might be safer to play it safe. And I always order taco salad at Mexican restaurants because I want the largest pile of lettuce. (I love salad, mostly for the greens.) Last time I made myself branch out at a Mexican restaurant, I really missed the tall stack of fresh vegetables to lighten the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment