Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Perfect Alepin

I think everyone has their own version of the perfect application to store all of those information tidbits. The time before last when I went looking for mine, I picked Alepin. Since it has been sold and hasn't been updated, I had to pick another (Journler), but I still miss the good parts of Alepin. It's easy to dream while your product is in update limbo, so here's my sorted list of enhancements to make Alepin perfect.

  1. Spotlight support. This is a deal-breaker for me. Without Spotlight, I have to launch an application to find my memory. With Spotlight, I just search from the menubar and find any tidbit in any application (with a Spotlight importer).
    • QuickLook makes filtering Spotlight results just that much easier.
  2. I want per-page tags, preferably OpenMeta tags. I suppose the new developers would have to worry about which file systems don't support extended attributes (like Dropbox, SMB mounts ...) so I guess Alepin needs a hidden file for that, making it less clean. Or a warning "Tagging only supported on ..." but that doesn't catch a Finder copy that causes data loss. So they need duplicate tagging, OpenMeta where supported and a per-document-bundle hidden plist. And a method to sync those as needed.
  3. I always wished for the internal structure to match hierarchy, meaning "Show Package Contents" in the Finder would have the same nested folders as Alepin's display, because then I could duplicate page names (Hotels in both the Asheville and Wilmington folders in Travel.alpn), and because then the "recoverability" if an Alepin doc gets corrupt is essentially perfect. All cases were my own fault and easily recovered, but I have had my Alepin documents get corrupted.
    • This could go interesting places, in that Alepin becomes a browser to a folder of RTFD, especially if metadata like tags goes on the file and the safety file can be re-created from the component documents.
    • Add in textutil's ability to convert to rtfd ... this could go many places. I haven't thought this all the way through, especially since it's not how I would use Alepin. I'm happy with its Import and Export (to nested folders that aren't in its internal hierarchy!).
  4. Fix bug where editing a internal component rtfd (using "Show Package Contents" or found because of my tweakings for Spotlight) with TextEdit would cause the whole document.alpn to be corrupt on next launch. Since it showed up in a search, a proper Spotlight importer would help here too; but Alepin would need to be able to open an Alepin document in context to fix it well.
  5. Fix bug where password-protecting an Alepin document on one Mac, copying (well, bbouncer-approved rsync-ing) that document to another Mac and trying to open it would show the corrupt message. Yeah, apparently I can corrupt documents like nobody's business.

I love(d) Alepin, but I need to be able to find and use what I've stored, in a format with easy recoverability from corruption, with solid import and export choices, preferably document-based. I tried (and bought) Circus Ponies, but since then I bought and am using Journler instead because it just feels easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment