Saturday, October 3, 2009

Breakfast Experiment: Fluffy Pancakes

We wanted pancakes this morning, and I'm still searching for the right vegan recipe to avoid Cale's allergies. I started with the Simple but Perfect Pancake at Recipezaar. To eliminate the eggs, I followed the Post-Punk Kitchen's advice and used 1/2 cup of banana that had been through the food processor (I was trying to make banana ice cream, but discovered that if the banana has been frozen so long that it has lots of ice crystals, the water prevents the desirable ice creamy texture: so I had leftover, defrosted, maple-extract-spiced banana purée to use up). Instead of milk, I used fruit juice (mango, passionfruit, peach, and pear; cleaning out the frig again). I followed the technique, even to beating the "eggs and milk" with a mixer. The banana and fruit juice, despite not having the protein (and allergen!) content of eggs in milk, did froth up a lot! I used the whisk attachment for my mixer, and that may have helped aerate it. Whatever the reason, frothy fruit or Bakewell Cream, the pancakes turned out great! They were thick, fluffy, light, and only very vaguely possibly fruity. No gooey center (and no crispy edges), either. Yum! I didn't add fruit chunks this time since I figured I had already pushed my luck enough by replacing all of the protein and most of the liquid with Cale-safe alternatives.

1/2 cup banana, smooth purée

1 1/4 cup fruit juice

2 tsp vanilla

beat until frothy

3 Tbs canola oil

stir into juice

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup white wheat flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

2 Tbs sugar

sift dry stuff together, then fold in to wet stuff (do not overbeat)

No comments:

Post a Comment