Friday, October 23, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I looked at The Post-Punk Kitchen for a butter or margarine to oil conversion (1/2 cup/1 stick of those to 1/3 cup oil). Also, when I use Ener-G Egg Replacer, I use the whisk attachment on my mixer to whip it into a meringue-like froth before using it, and I've never noticed the chalk-y taste. Another tip is that chocolate chips don't "stick" to oil batters, so use fewer than in the chips-laden original. I also replace brown sugar with slightly less white sugar and a dollop of molasses. So here's what I did:

1 1/2 Tbs Ener-G egg replacer

2 Tbs water

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

whisk into a froth (several minutes)

1/3 cup canola oil

3/4 cup brown sugar

mix

7/8 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

mix

preheat oven to 325 °F

1 cup oatmeal

mix (batter will now be getting stiff)

1/2 cup (3 oz) chocolate chips

mix

 

lightly grease cookie sheet

put cookie batter on cookie sheet

bake 8-12 minutes at 325 °F

I either left the cookies in too long (the kids were wild), or I need to drop the temperature to 300 °F for the oil substitution. Or perhaps I should use a combination of apple sauce (to hold moisture) and oil (to transport yummy flavor)? OK, this is still a work in progress, but completely edible as is too. The cookies also wanted to stick to the pan, so I either should have removed them sooner or I should have greased the cookie sheet. But still mighty tasty! These are my favorite cookies ...

No comments:

Post a Comment