Monday, March 24, 2008

The Road To Postpartum Recovery: Week 1

Cale was born at 2:55 AM on Tuesday. Obviously we were very tired Tuesday since we only slept from 5 AM until 7:30 AM; then we woke up because it was that time when we're always awake. I had stitches, so I was sore, but ice helped for a while, and then I requested painkillers. The secondary highlight Tuesday was after dinner, when I got to see my toddler Karston (yay!) with both of his grandmothers. Groggy, owwie, happy, and very little energy.

Wednesday I kept thinking I felt OK, then I'd try to walk around, and then I'd need painkillers again. I'm not good at taking it easy. Cale's poops started changing to the breastfed color, so my milk was coming in. Karston did not handle a different schedule well at all, so I asked if Cale and I could be discharged. Given the new rooming-in policy (baby not often in nursery), hospital and home didn't seem too different. We left when Cale was about 36 hours old. I took it easy at home.

Thursday was a low point. I ached everywhere, especially on the back of my left wrist (IV injection), my entire lower back (epidural that was too weak to dull labor, but was kicked up too far for delivery so that I couldn't move my legs), and of course my perineal stitches. Lots of pain, very little energy, and very heavy lochia (enough so that I looked up the guidelines for when to see a doctor). This was a day to cling to life, survive, and feel better another day. I could feel milk coming in.

Friday I felt better but I still had no stamina. The fun point in the day was lunch with Jen who brought yummy take-out and held Cale so I could walk on my own. I was glad to have company and not to have to go anywhere for it. Of course ice packs and gel pads helped a lot too! I had chills overnight (Fri-Sat), which is a danger sign, but no fever so I bundled up.

Saturday my mother and my grandparents came over. I felt about the same. Every once in a while I was sure I had lighter lochia, so I must be recovering.

Sunday we had Easter lunch with extended family. Actually it was not so bad to leave the house and see people, so the sense of recovery was real. Milk really came in! I felt engorged, but at least then it's easy to tell which side is next for nursing.

Monday morning chills again (Sun-Mon overnight, no fever again), but otherwise I felt fine given the same litany: wrist bruise, back sore if I don't watch my posture, stitches sore, but not the whole area. One week!

No comments:

Post a Comment