Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Upside of Pregnancy

I'm not that good at being pregnant; morning sickness takes me down for the first trimester to first half. Then, after an all-too-short respite, I'm bulky with the large complaints of pregnancy like heartburn. Despite that, there are a few nice things. It's atypical, but my skin clears up and my face breaks out less. My thick hair gets softer and less unruly. (My hair also gets much darker and straighter, so I go from dark blonde and wavy to brown and straight.) For some odd reason, since I would expect the relaxin and imbalance of pregnancy would not mix well with my benign hypermobility, my joints hurt less. Yes, my feet and knees ache from carrying extra weight when I stand a lot. Sure, my lower back is aware of that big belly. But I ache less overall if I exercise sensibly, and that's a pleasant surprise. People, even strangers, are exceptionally considerate. So it's not all a miserable waddle to the finish. Plus this baby rarely kicks, although he moves a lot, so I'm less uncomfortable this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment