Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Postpartum Recovery: The Second Two Weeks

After the first two weeks postpartum, a mother wakes up and realize that she's going to make it, she's going to bounce back after all. At least, that's how I've felt two weeks after both boys. With Karston's colic, I didn't know when I would feel better (and the lochia was still heavy so I was beat from more than just sleeplessness), but I could tell it would happen. Since Cale generally lets me sleep (and the lochia is very light now), I feel better now. I don't have a lot of extra energy, but I can do some activities.

I learned that Cale needs to have cluster feeding in order to sleep for more than two hours at a time. So although I never thought I'd miss the incessant demands of cluster feeding, now I get anxious about my nighttime sleep if he doesn't want extra nursing in the evening. So there can be a silver lining to cluster feeding. Cale can sleep longer than Karston did for two main reasons: he weighs more (born 1.5 pounds heavier!) so he has more staying-asleep power, and he doesn't have my lactose intolerance causing colic.

The second two-weeks-post-partum is sooo much easier (the third and fourth weeks)! Especially when the second child sleeps at night and doesn't have colic.

No comments:

Post a Comment