Monday, April 14, 2008

Taste Test: Peanut Butter Wafer Candy Bar

Last week, I presented the next candy bar taste test to my usual three judges. This time we compared a Butterfinger candy bar to a Slimfast Peanut Butter Crunch snack bar.

Aside #1: You would think that a Slimfast "snack bar" would be better nutritionally than a regular candy bar, but they're remarkably close. The skeptic in me had to check, and I was slightly surprised. The Slimfast has slightly less fat and sugar, but the major difference is that it comes in a smaller serving size; it's one-third the size of a King Size Butterfinger.

specsSlimfast(2 Slimfast bars)Butterfinger(1/2 Butterfinger bar)
serving size28g(56g)60g(30g)
calories120(240)270(135)
fat4g(8g)11g(5.5g)
- saturated fat2g(4g)6g(3g)
carbohydrates21g(42g)43g(21.5g)
- sugar12g(24g)29g(14.5g)
protein1g(2g)4g(2g)

The Butterfinger had a slightly more desirable texture and didn't stick to my teeth as much, but the only way to tell the difference was to sample both at the same time. If we had tried these at different times, we're not sure we would notice.

Aside #2: I refuse to buy Nestle products, at least once I know they're made by Nestle. So I have to admit that the Butterfinger sample was part of the Toddler's Halloween haul (I didn't buy it), and its age may have contributed to its drier texture.

So although the Butterfinger won the taste test, it only won by a very slim margin. In favor of the Slimfast Peanut Butter Crunch, it does not have visible orange dye in the crunchy wafers (who needs more dye in their diet?), it comes in portion-controlled sizes, and oh it's not made by Nestle.

What I'll actually buy was determined before the taste test, but it's nice to know that I'm not missing out on taste. In addition, (one-half to) one Slimfast bar is enough to cure my craving, so I don't need or want the larger Butterfinger bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment