Saturday, September 6, 2008

Another Baby Lesson

Sometimes I have enough quiet around me that I can listen to what Cale's telling me. (No, my 5-month-old can't talk; it's figurative.) This evening solidified a guess I had in the wee hours this morning. Cale was sleeping remarkably well for his first months, but then he started waking up all night. Very tiring for me! Last night I noticed that he had baby farts almost as soon as I picked him most of the times he cried for me. (Before anyone suggests "cry it out," I'll bring up two issues. I want Karston to sleep, so loud crying in the adjacent room is bad, and when Cale is bawling at the top of his lungs with tears in his eyes and he's too young to put on a show, I need to comfort him. If he's just fussing about sleep, I let him fuss himself to sleep. This crying is different, louder, and needs love.) Usually when he wakes up, we settle down to nurse. Well, at 3AM when I was very sore, I discovered that he was perfectly happy to snuggle into my neck and fall right back to sleep. No nursing. In fact, he might've fallen asleep faster without that distraction.

Discovery #1: farts wake him up very unhappy. I need to discover what I should eliminate from my diet.

Discovery #2: he doesn't have to nurse all night. In fact, I don't want him to get accustomed to eating around the clock.

This evening, he was tucked in his crib at 9PM (late because I was baking), and he was crying at 10PM. We just cuddled. That gave me a chance to pump so I can actually go to work too! Useful discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment