Saturday, August 22, 2009

Better Vitamins?

I have a reasonable diet (I love salad!), but as I mentioned yesterday, I love my prenatal multivitamins too. Since I probably get most of my trace minerals in my diet, I prefer that my multivitamin is low in vitamins with accessible toxicity (Vitamin A, I'm looking at you) and low in the heavy metal sort of trace minerals (selenium linked to infertility). I don't like B vitamins from GNC because most of those have thousands of percents over the USRDA, and that sounds like overkill in the unhealthy direction to me. Once again, my "current" brand of prenatals went unavailable, so I've been trying other brands that meet my desire not to do over-do certain items while still bumping up the B's.

The first one I tried was a pretty traditional women's multivitamin. It lacked the slightly higher levels of B vitamins, but there weren't any prenatals at the store. Back to sprue (especially about 30 minutes to an hour after I drink a cola), back to the search. The next one I tried is OneADay Energy, although I wouldn't've bought it if I had noticed then that it has caffeine. (Most of the others that were high on some B vitamins were low on B6 and B12. Which would be one way to test which one helps me!) Although I drank tea for years, coffee gives me sweats and shakes, so "contains the caffeine of about 1 cup of coffee" isn't reassuring. It's even higher on those B vitamins than prenatal multivitamins, so I might alternate days with the standard women's. New discovery! With those B vitamins generally at 200% (but not an unacceptable 6000%), my weight seems to be stabilizing! I was having annoying cyclic weight gain, a little loss, then back to the gain grind. How much I ate didn't seem to affect the cyclic pattern much (so why starve).

Extra B vitamins beyond prenatal multivitamin levels, and (#1) I'm back to being in control of my weight and I like to be in charge of my own destiny, and (#2) for the first time in absolutely years, I'm not facing afternoon doldrums with a severe urge to snack on something sweet! Wow! I can probably learn to live with caffeine for that, but I notice that the OneADay Teen mixtures look similar but without the caffeine. In fact, the only amount I disagree with on those is the Chromium since it can affect appetite too. I think I like the Teen Boy formula best because it's lower in iron and some weeks I average 3x USRDA for iron ... I don't need to take an iron supplement unless I like brittle hair and nails. I even think the RDI for iron is high since, at least for blood hemoglobin, the elemental iron is usually recycled into new hemoglobin: it's a fairly closed cycle for iron in hemoglobin, not much loss. I think iron loss is 20 mg for childbirth, and most other times much lower than that ... so I don't think I need it. I do remember what anemia feels like (that lethargy, particularly in my elbows: my elbows felt weak) and I would know to take moderate levels of iron.

I really like that the US RDI tables are available online because these tables include the suggested upper limit too. There you can see that while the RDI for sodium is 1500 mg (a big drop from the old USRDA values), the suggested upper limit is 2300 mg! I think the old USRDA for sodium was 3500 mg. Yeah. So the suggested limit works out to about 3/4 teaspoon of salt ... per day. Since fruits and veggies contain some natural sodium, it's possible to get enough sodium with very little, if any, added salt.

So I used to think that prenatal multivitamins were the gold standard to balance my body, but I learn new things all the time. This time it seems to be that even a little bit more of those B vitamins is a better thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment