Sunday, August 23, 2009

Me Time

About two weeks ago, during a rare bout of heartburn (I had it once as a kid for overeating, as an adverse reaction to naproxen, and during most of both pregnancies), I wondered why I had such fond, rosy memories of my pregnancies. I mean, morning sickness kicked in before the fourth week, before the positive pregnancy test even, subsided around the 20th week, and kicked back in once I was really large. Add in the unaccustomed bulk and the every-movement-is-arerobic-exercise from week 24 on, and it's no picnic. I figured it out, though. I relished the free license to be selfish about taking care of myself. Of course I have to eat this, it's the healthiest choice on the menu that doesn't make my stomach churn at the thought. Time to get ready for bed now so that I have time to do my static flexibility stretches to keep me from aching. No, it's not breakfast time yet, I have to do my strength training first!

Post-partum, the rules change to keep the baby happy.

But since I noticed what I liked, I'm making more time for exercise. (I've always preferred healthier food, although I was falling off the wagon for sweet snacks more often before I noticed this.) I like it. I think I'll go stretch now and enjoy my own oasis of luxurious, self-indulgent exercise. I've done this routine before bed so many times, I can't stop yawning for the last third of my static stretches. Great way to take care of myself. I'm headed for the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment