Friday, August 21, 2009

Three Things Women Should Know

I try to tell my girlfriends these.

  • Prenatal vitamins can cure a weekly+ bout of sprue without the suffering of a diagnosis of IBS. I thought I was headed for IBS myself, but prenatal vitamins fixed that when a regular multivitamin didn't. This has worked for me and for two friends who are also professional women with stressful jobs. I note that prenatal vitamins are slightly higher in B vitamins, and I know research studies have shown that stress interferes with the absorption of some B vitamins. So my theory is that stress is blocking some vitamin B absorption (not sure which one or ones) causing the bouts of sprue, but prenatal multivitamins shore up your levels of B. (Yes, IBS is real, but for some women there could be a simple, effective solution. Note that a sample size of three women plus a heuristic argument does not make for good science. No harm in trying either!)
  • Your menstrual cycle could be two days shorter without tampons. I heard this at a women's health seminar. I went to be moral support for a friend so she would go, and it wasn't the touchy-feely blather I was afraid of. The speaker cited research studies, although I haven't been able to find them. So I'll just say my sample size is one plus hearsay of research, but I don't miss those two days one bit.
  • Talc, although it comes in powder form, is still a rock. Talc in the panties has been causally linked to increased infections. If you really want to powder, use a cornstarch one unless you have a yeast infection. Cornstarch is from corn, a food item. Yeast can eat it and thrive. So no powder is best, but the occasional puff of cornstarch baby powder is fine.

These are non-obvious tips that can make life better. Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment