Tuesday, May 3, 2011

CSA, Week 2

I'm still keeping up with the CSA box this week!

mixed greens - with sausage and pasta

baby lettuce, tatsoi, and radishes - salad

spring onions - green tops in salad, the rest in my usual cooking (like fried up with italian sausage to go in spaghetti sauce)

By making the greens, sausage, and pasta (rotini this week and last) recipe right away, I can free up a lot of room in my frig. It's amazing how much greens cook down, from gigantic when raw to a small handful when cooked. Having tried it, though, I have to say that that recipe is much better for strongly-flavored greens like kale and collards, not so much for the very mild greens from broccoli rabe that I used this week.

I'll probably have a spring onion or two left when I pick up the next CSA box, but I don't think that's a problem since onions keep so much better than baby lettuce. I'll still feel like I'm keeping up, as long as none of this delicious produce goes bad before I serve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment